Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Red Yellow Green

RED YELLOW GREEN We did it! Derek and I completely restored a REAL traffic light to working order! Here is our story: Derek has always loved traffic signs and signals. Last year for his 10th birthday, he got a REAL traffic light! Shelley found it at a flea market. The paint was worn an faded, some rust, bulb missing. A real fixer upper. By the way, those things are huge. 4 foot tall, 33 pounds!! Each lens (red, amber, green) is a foot (yes, 12 inches) across!! They definitely don't look near that big on the street. The repair project has been slow to start because of our moving, home decoration, and holidays. However, I had done some leg work. I found a website of a guy who has restored several. He recommended "School Bus Yellow" paint from Ace hardware as the best match. I also found a guy who sells a "controller" (trafficlights.com). I bought a controller that lets us tune the timing of the green, amber, red cycle from 6 seconds to 6 minutes. It can also blink red, blink yellow or alternate red/yellow. 6 cans of School Bus Yellow paint later, we assembled it. It works AWESOME!!! Priming and Painting Testing the lighting and controller board Final wiring The final result It's a GO! Not being much of a handyman, we are quite proud of ourselves. Derek cannot wait to set this up in the driveway. This was great fun...